Do I need to get another sleep study if my CPAP machine has stopped working?

This question was asked in Wellington, Missouri on 08/08/2012.
I had a sleep study done 8 years ago and am in need of a new machine. Mine has stopped working. Do I need to have another study done for this? Thank you.

Doctors Answers (4)

J. Douglas Hudson, MD, DABSM
Answered on: 8/10/2012

Usually, you do not need to get another sleep study to get a CPAP that works. This is especially true if you have been using an auto-titrating machine. Even if your CPAP has been set a fixed pressure and is effective you may not need another sleep study. However, if there are other issues of which I am not aware, I would follow your doctor's advice.

Richard J. Schumann Jr., MD
Answered on: 8/10/2012

Not necessarily. You may need to perform one anyway however if your machine is that old. CPAPs usually have shelf life of 3-4 year tops and your machine is certainly antiquated from a technology standpoint. If you have gained weight as well over that time it may be time to see a sleep specialist and get things updated.

Farhad Sigari, MD, FACS
Answered on: 8/9/2012 6

Not necessarily. Although different insurance carriers will have different requirements for what is acceptable as far as how old the sleep study is. That being said many variables change in 8 years (weight, muscle tone, addition/subtraction of medications, etc.) thus it would be worthwhile to repeat the study to determine the degree of sleep apnea. However, if getting another sleep study is not an option and your insurance carrier is ok with prescribing a new CPAP based on an old sleep study, then the newer CPAP machines can determine the level of pressure needed to treat without another sleep study. This feature is called auto titration which can automatically determine the level of support is needed.

Syed Nabi, M.D.
Answered on: 8/9/2012 6

It is usually a good idea to get another sleep study when 8 years have passed by as pressure needs change with age and time. Check with your sleep physician and your insurance carrier for more information.