What should I do if I need an affordable sleep study and CPAP equipment?

This question was asked in Triangle, Virginia on 08/15/2012.
I have no insurance and little money. However, I need a CPAP machine or something similar because of my sleep apnea. I stop breathing and wake up often. My mouth and throat are always dry and sore and I can't get a good night sleep. Where can I go or what can I do to help with my sleep apnea?

Doctors Answers (4)

Syed Nabi, M.D.
Answered on: 8/16/2012

You can see a sleep doctor and get prescribed for an Autopap machine. You can get a second hand online much cheaper this way. A sleep doctor can help you figure out which is the right machine and do periodic downloads to make any pressure adjustments.

Gary K. Zammit, Ph.D.
Answered on: 8/16/2012

I recommend that you talk to the practice manager at your local sleep center. They may be able to offer you a payment plan. You also can get cpap from a commercial vendor who will work out a payment plan with you.

Richard J. Schumann Jr., MD
Answered on: 8/16/2012

If you are still undiagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea then you could see a sleep specialist about a home study followed by a home titration to get started. You could then rent CPAP equipment and masks to start the process with folow up if any problems arise.

J. Douglas Hudson, MD, DABSM
Answered on: 8/16/2012

If you have no insurance to pay for the diagnostic studies for sleep apnea and for CPAP, I suggest you contact local hospitals who often operate clinics for the uninsured. If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and just need a CPAP, I understand that some Durable Medical Equipment companies have older used models on hand and may sell them very cheaply.