What should I do if I had a sleep study that did not help me sleep better at night?

This question was asked in Bowie, Maryland on 07/26/2012.
I had a sleep study for sleep apnea. They found no sleep apnea even though I snore. I am only able to sleep no more than 90 min using sleeping pills. I also have restless legs and a restless body. I wake frequently, about 3 or 4 times a night. What can I do?

Doctors Answers (3)

J. Douglas Hudson, MD, DABSM
Answered on: 7/31/2012

If you were led to believe that undergoing a sleep study would, in its self, improve your sleep I would recommend that you see a new sleep specialist. First, snoring with frequent awakenings and leg movements can represent a condition known as the Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS). This is a condition which is a precursor to obstructive sleep apnea. You don't just go to bed one night a have the onset of sleep apnea. Most insurance companies will provide CPAP therapy for UARS. Medicare, however, does not feel that UARS is worthy of CPAP therapy. Treating the sleep apnea or UARS will often reduce or eliminate the leg and body movements. If not, treatment is available. It is unfortunate that many physicians and patients feel that if your sleep study is not diagnostic of sleep apnea there is nothing else to treat.

Richard J. Schumann Jr., MD
Answered on: 7/27/2012

Your should be referred to asleep specialist to help you sleep witout medicine nd possible treat your Restless leg with another meidicne if they are fragmenting your sleep. The specialist can also give you tips on sleep hygiene to improve sleep quality.

Terry M. Himes, DO
Answered on:

Our Sleep Staff Physician recommends: Consult your Sleep Physician, or contact us. There are a number of new pharmaceuticals on the market now that are very effective in treating "RLS and Insomnia." Additionally, speak with your Sleep Physician about options for the snoring issue, which needs to be addressed as well.