How can I participate in a sleep study?

This question was asked in Concord, North Carolina on 02/12/2013.
I am asking this because I am tired of waking up tired. Especially since I sleep 7-8 hours per night. I have also been told that I may have sleep apnea. How soon can I participate in a sleep study?

Doctors Answers (7)

Daron Scherr, MD, DABSM
Answered on: 4/5/2013 1

I recommend calling a local AASM accredited sleep lab. Most places can get you in within 1 week. Our AASM accredited facilities also perform accurate home sleep studies at no charge. Most insurance companies will even accept the results saving you the cost of an in-lab study.

J. Douglas Hudson, MD, DABSM
Answered on: 2/19/2013

You can "participate in a sleep study" after a physician orders the test. Some labs are booked for several days and others have openings most nights. First, ask your primary care physician to refer you to a sleep specialist or to a sleep laboratory. You have what we call "non restorative sleep". This can be corrected.

Timothy J. Delcambre, DDS, MHA
Answered on: 2/18/2013

To participate in a sleep study, is as easy as getting a referral to a sleep center from your physician or dentist. Then, call the sleep center to schedule a sleep study.

Courtney Whitney, DO
Answered on: 2/14/2013

A sleep study does sound indicated. Your primary care doctor can order the sleep study for you or you can do a consultation with one of our physicians. We can do a consultation as soon as tomorrow. We can get you in for a sleep study as soon as the beginning of next week even.

Vector Sleep Diagnostics Center
Answered on: 2/13/2013

If you suspect that you may have Sleep Apnea, please schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Sleep Apnea is a serious sleep disorder which may lead to other medical conditions if left untreated. Sleep studies are generally done overnight and we try our best to accommodate your schedule.

Ramie A. Tritt, M.D., FRCSC
Answered on: 2/13/2013

You need to come in for an appointment and the doctor can write the orders for the Sleep study to be performed. Contact our office if you need any further assistance.

Jeannine Louise Gingras, MD
Answered on: 2/13/2013

You need either an evaluation by a sleep physician (preferable) or a referral from your primary care physician. The reason an evaluation by a sleep physician is preferable is that he/she could manage your sleep apnea, if present.