Do I need to be tested for sleep apnea?

This question was asked in Cornelius, North Carolina on 10/23/2012.
I do not know if I have sleep apnea or not. I do snore, I have trouble falling asleep, it is hard for me to awaken, and I am still tired after waking up. How can I be tested for this? Thank you.

Doctors Answers (4)

Richard J. Schumann Jr., MD
Answered on: 10/30/2012

All the symptoms you described are common in sleep apnea. Others include memory and concentration difficulties, leg welling, AM dry mouth and restless and poorly refreshing sleep. You would benefit from consultation with a sleep specialist.

Jeannine Louise Gingras, MD
Answered on: 10/24/2012

Snoring is a red flag and in itself raises the possibility you may have sleep apnea-or a collapse of your airway during sleep. These breathing pauses creates havoc on your health and general well being. Waking unrefreshed after sufficient sleep is an important symptom of a sleep disorder. Some other signs and symptoms for sleep apnea are: waking with a morning headache, excessive sweating in sleep, waking up nuremous times to use the restroom, decrease libito, restless sleep, waking gasping for air and of course being told you stop breathing in sleep. If you are waking up unrefreshed after 7 1/2-8 1/2 hours of sleep and have one or more of these symptoms you may likely have Sleep Apnea. Other risk factors include hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, cardiac rhythm problems, stroke, congestive heart failure, neck size greater than 17 inches (males) 16 inches (females). Idealy you should be evaluated by a sleep physician who would order an overnight sleep study (polysomnogram), or if you qualify, a home sleep study. These are the only two ways to make an accurate diagnosis. Treatment would depend on the severity of your apnea and physical exam.

J. Douglas Hudson, MD, DABSM
Answered on: 10/24/2012

If you snore, have insomnia and are tired during the day time, you need to be evaluated for sleep apnea. You will need to undergo a sleep study and if you have sleep apnea you will need to undergo a CPAP titration study. Your primary care physician can order the sleep study or refer you to a sleep specialist. If you fail CPAP therapy you can explore other less effective options such as mandibular advancement devices and surgery of the soft palate. A newer device, Provent, which you apply to your nasal opening is effective for some patients.

Marjorie Yong, M.D.
Answered on: 10/23/2012

Yes. You will need a polysomnogram test to see if you have a sleep disorder. You should not feel tired in the morning.