Are there sleep studies for night terrors?

This question was asked in Naples, Florida on 09/21/2012.
Is there any help for people with night terrors? I am fearful that I am going to hurt my husband. I hurt myself a lot when I wander around or throw myself out of bed. Thank you.

Doctors Answers (3)

Marjorie Yong, M.D.
Answered on: 9/24/2012

Yes there are studies for this. Do not worry.

J. Douglas Hudson, MD, DABSM
Answered on: 9/24/2012

Night terrors can be confused with another sleep disorder called REM Behavior Disorder. If the night time events are frequent they may be witnessed during a sleep study. This helps determine the stage of sleep during which the terrors occur. Treatment of the disorder is often driven by the stage of sleep during which they occur and there may be some long term implications which a sleep specialist can discuss with you. With or without a sleep study, if your doctor makes a diagnosis of night terrors (which occur in Non-REM sleep) there are medications available which often eliminate them.

Terry M. Himes, DO
Answered on: 9/24/2012

The Staff Physician recommends you see a Board Certified Sleep Specialist. After an evaluation, you may or may not require a Diagnostic Sleep Study. There are a number of options and treatments for this disorder.